2023-24 Audition Requirements
We have 15 ensembles, including three Full Orchestras, three string orchestras, three flute ensembles, two clarinet ensembles, a wind ensemble and our Jazz and Percussion ensembles. Auditions for the 2023-24 season will take place in the latter half of May and all students—both current and new—must audition to be considered for an ensemble. Eligible students are those who are entering grades 3-12.
Check back on April 1 for audition dates!
REGISTER FOR AUDITIONS: Audition Registration will be Open from April 1-May 1
1. Solo of students’ choice
2. Excerpts or Scales, depending on the level of the solo – Posting April 1
3. Sight-reading, provided by NJYS on audition day
Please review the solo lists and level chart provided below. Each list is categorized by levels that correspond with each orchestra/ensemble. Students auditioning are encouraged to consult with their private teachers to select an appropriate level solo.
The level of the audition solo will determine the additional materials the student will need to prepare. The Artistic Team will take into consideration placing the student in the level for which they auditioned or lower levels, but please note that students will only present one audition. Results will be emailed towards the end of June.
- For solos in levels 5 & 6 that have more than one movement, students must prepare two contrasting movements.
- Students must prepare the entire solo, but they may be asked to play selections of the piece at the discretion of the judges.
- The solo level should best represent the student’s level at the time of the audition.
- The student is responsible for providing the judges with a copy of their solo.
Click on your instrument below to review accepted pieces by level:
*Level 1 solo required for Concertino Winds
Requirements to be announced April 1.
All students who audition will prepare the same materials and be considered for all three levels of the Jazz program; Jazz Orchestra (Advanced), Big Band (Intermediate), Jazz Workshop (Intermediate).
Requirements to be announced April 1.
On Audition Day:
Required items for the day of the audition:
- Your instrument (extra strings, reeds, etc.) Cellos and Basses should also bring their rock stop.
- Your solo piece and excerpts that you will be presenting.
- An extra copy of your solo piece for the judges (we will not be able to make copies on the day of the audition. It can be a printout or copy of your part).
- Please be sure that you have read the requirements correctly and have your scales or excerpts prepared, depending on your audition level.
- All applicants will be required to sight-read. The judges will give you about 30 seconds to look at the sight-reading and play.
- Presentation counts, but there is no mandatory attire for this audition. We encourage you to dress nicely!
- Students, when you arrive, please check in at the front entrance. Give your full name and instrument to the staff member at check-in.
- A staff member will take you to a warm-up room, where you will have a few minutes to warm up. Students may only be accompanied by one parent or guardian in the warm-up room. Please note that warm-up rooms may need to be shared with other students, in which case family members may be asked to wait outside.
- Please arrive early to ensure you have time to warm up, as you may not be provided time if you arrive late.
- An NJYS staff person will call you when the judges are ready, and you will bring only what you need into your audition. Memorization of your solo piece is not mandatory but appreciated.
- Two judges will listen to the audition without a proctor. Please be alert and ready for their instructions.
- Once you have completed the audition you may pack up and leave.
- Accompaniment is not permitted for this audition.
- Parents are not allowed in the audition rooms. Staff will be available for student assistance.
- Parents are not allowed to stand by the audition door while auditions are in session.
- Recording and photography of any kind is not permitted in our building during auditions.
New Jersey Youth Symphony
570 Central Avenue, New Providence NJ 07974
Driving Instructions: Please enter through the entrance with the NJYS sign, and exit out the other exit closest to the traffic light. (Follow the provided map).
Our entrance is located in the rear of the building through the “Music School” entrance.
Free parking is available along the rear of the building.