2023-24 Audition Excerpts
Excerpts are just one of the requirements needed to audition at NJYS. For a full list of audition requirements, see here.
Level 1 Winds and Brass and Levels 1 & 2 Strings should prepare the scales listed below. All other instruments/levels should prepare the excerpts listed below. Percussion and Jazz, please refer to the full requirements in addition to the excerpts below.
- Winds and Brass Level 1
- Piccolo Level 2
- Piccolo Level 3 – updated 4/20/23
- Piccolo Level 4
- Flute Level 2
- Flute Level 3
- Flute Level 4
- Oboe Level 2
- Oboe Level 3
- Oboe Level 4
- English Horn Level 4 only
- Clarinet Level 2
- Clarinet Level 3
- Clarinet Level 4
- Bass Clarinet Level 4 only
- Bassoon Level 2
- Bassoon Level 3
- Bassoon Level 4
- Strings Level 1 & 2
- Violin Level 3
- Violin Level 4
- Violin Level 5
- Violin Level 6
- Viola Level 3
- Viola Level 4
- Viola Level 5
- Viola Level 6
- Cello Level 3
- Cello Level 4
- Cello Level 5
- Cello Level 6
- Bass Level 3
- Bass Level 4
- Bass Level 5
- Bass Level 6
On Audition Day:
Required items for the day of the audition:
- Your instrument (extra strings, reeds, etc.) Cellos and Basses should also bring their rock stop.
- Your solo piece and excerpts that you will be presenting.
- An extra copy of your solo piece for the judges (we will not be able to make copies on the day of the audition. It can be a printout or copy of your part).
- Please be sure that you have read the requirements correctly and have your scales or excerpts prepared, depending on your audition level.
- All applicants will be required to sight-read. The judges will give you about 30 seconds to look at the sight-reading and play.
- Presentation counts, but there is no mandatory attire for this audition. We encourage you to dress nicely!
- Students, when you arrive, please check in at the front entrance. Give your full name and instrument to the staff member at check-in.
- A staff member will take you to a warm-up room, where you will have a few minutes to warm up. Students may only be accompanied by one parent or guardian in the warm-up room. Please note that warm-up rooms may need to be shared with other students, in which case family members may be asked to wait outside.
- Please arrive early to ensure you have time to warm up, as you may not be provided time if you arrive late.
- An NJYS staff person will call you when the judges are ready, and you will bring only what you need into your audition. Memorization of your solo piece is not mandatory but appreciated.
- Two judges will listen to the audition without a proctor. Please be alert and ready for their instructions.
- Once you have completed the audition you may pack up and leave.
- Accompaniment is not permitted for this audition.
- Parents are not allowed in the audition rooms. Staff will be available for student assistance.
- Parents are not allowed to stand by the audition door while auditions are in session.
- Recording and photography of any kind is not permitted in our building during auditions.
New Jersey Youth Symphony
570 Central Avenue, New Providence NJ 07974
Driving Instructions: Please enter through the entrance with the NJYS sign, and exit out the other exit closest to the traffic light. (Follow the provided map).
Our entrance is located in the rear of the building through the “Music School” entrance.
Free parking is available along the rear of the building.