Paterson Music Project has the following Teaching Artist openings:
- For more information or to apply, contact Program Director Elizabeth Moulthrop at Elizabeth.email@example.com or call 973-341-7959. Details below.
Teaching Artist Job Description
- Reports To: Site Director
- Status: Part-time; 1-3 times a week after school. Teaching hours vary by instrument/class.
- Start Date: September 19, 2016
- End Date: June 2, 2017 (32 weeks of instruction)
Paterson Music Project (PMP) seeks teaching artists for multiple instruments for the El Sistema-inspired after school music program in Paterson, NJ. PMP provides an intense musical immersion for participating students, six hours each week after school. Students study a primary instrument and participate in ensemble practice. Students also study music theory, music history, aural training, and singing. Students perform frequently for the school and community. Over 200 students in grades 1-8 participate in PMP at 3 different sites.
Qualifications and Special Requirements:
- Demonstrate excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer.
- Bachelor’s degree in music performance or music education required.
- Strong interest in the El Sistema philosophy of social change through music.
- Passion for and experience teaching young beginners music.
- Flexibility and creativity to adapt to curriculum goals and ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong classroom management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to work during program hours as well as additional hours for planning meetings, professional development and scheduled concerts.
- Interest and ability to be a role model to students and parents as a citizen, artist, teacher and scholar and to encourage students to develop holistically.
- Ability to work under frequent observation.
- Sense of humor a must!